We all know we are supposed to apply sunscreen when we are outside, but what is it really protecting us from? UVA, UVB, UVC, and IR rays are all damaging to our skin. When you're not wearing sunscreen on a daily basis to help protect your skin's health, UVA and UVB rays can cause skin reddening, brown spots, accelerated skin aging, and increase your risk of skin cancer. UVA - stands for Ultraviolet A or " UV Aging Rays". These rays cause long term skin damage and photo-aging. UVB - stands for Ultraviolet B or "UV Burning Rays". These rays are the cause of a sunburn. UVB rays are the common cause of most skin cancers. UVC - stands for Ultraviolet C. It is the strongest and most deadly of solar rays, however the ozone layer stops these from reaching the Earth. IR or Infrared Rays- these rays penetrate the deepest into the skin causing the skin to lose elasticity. Here are a few things to remember when protecting yourself.
- Look at your sunscreen ingredients and make sure you see titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 2 tbs of sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside; reapply every 80 minutes or after swimming or sweating.
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) measures a sunscreen's effectiveness in preventing a sunburn in relation to the length if time spent in the sun.
- Schedule a yearly visit with your dermatologist for a complete skin exam.
If you are tired of shaving, looking for a more even skin tone, or want to tighten and firm your skin this is the special for you! This month only, purchase 4 laser treatments, receive a 5th laser treatment of equal or lesser value FREE! This will include laser hair removal treatments, phototherapy for reds and browns, and skintyte/skinfirming treatments. We use an Intense Pulse Light (IPL) laser to provide safe, rapid hair reduction. This treatment is ideally suited for dark, coarse hair and will typically require 4-6 treatments. Phototherapy is a treatment with no downtime and can target reds and/or brown spots on almost any area. Treatments are customized to meet your desired results. With this treatment we focus on skin conditions caused by aging, genetics and sun damage. Skintyte procedures us the laser to deliver wavelengths of light energy to penetrate deep into the dermal layer of the skin to stimulate collagen production. This treatment will firm and tighten the skin. Skintyte is ideal for loose skin around the eyes, mouth, cheeks and neck.